Saturday, February 6, 2010

At Blackwater Pond - January 6, 2010


At Blackwater Pond the tossed waters have settled

after a night of rain...

...I drink a long time. It tastes

like stone, leaves, fire. It falls cold

into my body, waking the bones. I hear them

deep inside me, whispering

oh what is that beautiful thing

that just happened?

In Unitarian Universalism we have a 7th Principle - to affirm and promote respect of the interdependent web of existence of which we are a part. We preach this, we sing this, we memorize it, and we believe it. Or do we? If we truly knew that our being was not separate from others, would we live as we do? We are haunted by loneliness, of not being good enough, of others not being good enough, and our tragic expressions of this forgetfulness of who we are. Maybe, deep down, in the depths of evolved subconscious, we know, we know... that we are the way of beauty because we are not alone, not separate. May this path of beauty be the long deep drink of renewing and living waters for you today.

Where and how have waters renewed you?

1 comment:

  1. It saddens me what we have done to our waters and fish. I have had Mary's experience many times in the cool waters of Michigan. We didn't have to have bottled water to take along. There were streams and lakes wherever we roamed. I have drunk from the mill pond, the lake while fishing from a boat, an ice fishing hole, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie before it became such a mess at the hands of humans. All of these waters were cool, clear, and icy. I think that has stayed with me today. Water is most refreshing only if it is clear and iced. Yes, I know I look like a freak in restaurants doing that quick check for clearness...it's a habit.

    Many people have to have coffee to get going in the morning. I don't like coffee. I start my day with ice water splashing in my empty stomach. It is a really refreshing feeling and does get the bones moving.

    ReplyDelete