Saturday, February 13, 2010

Entering the Kingdom - February 13, 2010


The crows see me...I am

Possibly dangerous, I am

Entering the kingdom.

The dream of my life

Is...to learn something by being nothing

A little while but the rich

Lens of attention...

...But the crows puff their feathers and cry...

...they know me for what I am.

No dreamer,

No eater of leaves.

In the Christian scriptures we hear about entering the kingdom. Jesus says that no one enters the kingdom except through him and in Matthew 3:3 we hear, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again". Here in the poem it seems that Mary cannot enter the kingdom because the crows are keeping guard. They seem to know when you are not open to the moment, to letting the crisp lens of love bring you to complete acceptance for the beauty and tragedy around you. The moment we lapse into a sense of not belonging, we are no longer in the kingdom, or at least we believe that we are not. The crows in their calls test our resolve - do we or do we not belong to the family of things? We do. Love does not lie.

1 comment:

  1. Right on! The crows do test our resolve. Patient quiet waiting until the crows settle down and approach you, rewards one with the woods turning back on to active status. The squirrel statues with only tails flapping to warn others, now skitter between the trees. Cardinals talk to each other to announce it is safe. Other birds return to the tree tops and lower branches to see what all the fuss was about.

    I can sit and become what I truly am, part of the kingdom of animals on this wonderful planet. What is love, but that euphoric feeling of belonging?

    ReplyDelete