Friday, February 12, 2010

The Truro Bear - February 12, 2010


There's a bear in the Truro Woods.

People have seen it-...

...Surely a beast might be clever, be luck, move quietly

through the woods for years, learning to stay away

from roads and houses. Common sense mutters:

it can't be true....

...But the seed has been planted, and when has happiness ever required much evidence to begin

it's leafy-green breathing.

A bear in the forest - could it be true? How simple it is to grow happiness, it doesn't take much for us to sense magic in the air, that good fortune is upon us. Like Mary's poem "The Black Snake" where we say to death "not me" here we say "yes, for me, for us!" We have our myths of good fortune, in so many ways the opposite of our apocalypse stories. These stories are deep in our culture. We believe that out of the wastelands, there is the seed where we can create a new world. I sense this in the apparent sightings of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Would that it was so, that this "lord God" bird still flew through our forests, booming it's presence not just in our hearts and memories, but in flying flesh. I had a dream once when I was young, and it was that I saw an Ivory-billed Woodpecker. I was euphoric the next morning and for several days thereafter. Even today, decades later I can feel the pulse of possibility, that extinction is "not for us."

What plants a seed of happiness or possibility in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment