Thursday, December 2, 2010

Eleven Versions of the Same Poem: Am I Lost?



Am I lost?
I don't think so.

Do I know where I am?
I'm not sure.

Have I ever been happier in my life?
Never.

Am I lost?
I am lost.

Do I know where I am?
I am lost.

Have I ever been more joyful in my life?
I am lost.




How Zen is this?  I am lost, I am not lost, I am lost.  It's like Dogen's saying "There is a mountain, there is not a mountain, there is a mountain."  When we look at a mountain we see it as an entity.  But when we look closer, we see that the mountain is made up of rock, water, ice, snow, trees, birds, and bugs.  There is no mountain "self" but only an intersection in the web of existence. 

But we have mountains to climb in our lives.  So we exist in the phenomenal world, interacting with this thing called "mountain" so that life may flow through us in all our particular manifestations. At the same time, we awake to knowing that no matter whether we climb, move, or ignore the mountain, all life flows through us.  We cannot stop it. 

On one hand we are not lost. We operate in a way that says, "I am separate. I know where I stand."  On the other hand, there is no self as we lose ourselves into the world. 

There is no joy, no happiness, and no bliss. There is just this...

Where and how might you lose yourself today?






No comments:

Post a Comment