Saturday, January 15, 2011

We Shake With Joy



We shake with joy, we shake with grief.
What a time they have, these two
Housed as they are in the same body.



Last night I had an enjoyable evening discussing how we might take care of ourselves so that we can take care of others.  I am in Puerto Rico teaching Nonviolent Communication and my inspiring dinner companion is Psychologist, Animal Therapy Facilitator, and President of the Puerto Rico Alliance for Companion Animals, Dr. Ursula Aragunde Kohl.  We spoke of how our learning comes through trial, pain, and grief.  Not all learning of course comes to us on this path, but in my life, the really important learnings of how to love and stay engaged with others with an open heart have come through much pain.  I wondered out loud to her if then what my days would look like if I were to be fully present to others and to life. I’d probably spend half the day sobbing, and the other dancing like a mad person in public.  

Such extremes in the same day!

What “extremes” do you mix in the same day, or the same body?



1 comment:

  1. Hello, I just found your profile while reading poems for my mother's celebration of life.
    I love NVC or CNV, I love animals. I would love to know more about your work. Barbara Jolley, Naturopathic and Chiropractic physician.barbara@drbjolley.com

    ReplyDelete